Release Day Interview with Kurtis Scaletta!!!

First of all, congratulations to my fellow Deb (yes, he's a guy!) Kurtis on the release of his long-awaiting MUDVILLE!!! I've told you guys about it before, and now it's finally here:

Welcome to Moundville, where it’s been raining for longer than Roy McGuire has been alive. Most people say the town is cursed—right in the middle of their big baseball game against rival town Sinister Bend, black clouds crept across the sky and it started to rain. That was 22 years ago . . . and it’s still pouring.

Baseball camp is over, and Roy knows he’s in for a dreary, soggy summer. But when he returns home, he finds a foster kid named Sturgis sprawled out on his couch. As if this isn’t weird enough, just a few days after Sturgis’s arrival, the sun comes out. No one can explain why the rain has finally stopped, but as far as Roy’s concerned, it’s time to play some baseball. It’s time to get a Moundville team together and finish what was started 22 years ago. It’s time for a rematch.

So, this is what I call my Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other Interview. It's five questions, plus one bonus question. Kurtis, feel free to elaborate as much as you want (except for the bonus question, of course!)

Here we go:

1) Would you rather be the Bestselling Rockstar Author or an Acclaimed Literary Award Winner?

Something in the middle with a reasonable fan base (so I can keep on writing) and respect from the reviewers.

2) Make people laugh, cry, or hide under the covers?

Mostly the first with a little bit of the second and, in my second novel, a little bit of the third.

3) Retire early or just keep writing from your beach house(s)?

Retire from my day job and then write from my lake house.

4) FaceBook or MySpace?

You've reminded me that I haven't checked my Facebook notifications in ten minutes or my MySpace feed in a week. Guess which one I'll do first?

5) After a period, one space or two?

The two-space rule died with computer word processing because type is no longer monospaced.

And your bonus question: What ONE WORD of advice would give to any aspiring writer?

Revise.

*confetti and streamers*

Great answers, Kurtis, and thanks for playing!

For more information about Kurtis and MUDVILLE, check out his website at http://www.kurtisscalleta.com/. (Or just go to Amazon and order it!!!)

Comments

Tam and John said…
Thanks for the good rec, Kim. I'm definitely picking it up!
Leigh Purtill said…
LOVE these question! Made me wonder what my own answers would be. Book sounds great - love baseball-related stories (see WP Kinsella for awesome short stories about the sport).